Josh,
    As a general rule any won't get much response without a very specific
question, and it's a good idea to mention what you've tried.  Since you're
new, heres a brief introduction to "finding opensource information".
1 > Visit the library or distro home page, find links to documentation or
mailing-lists, start reading
2 > Almost everyone has a mailing list (which you found), most lists will
have an archive that can be searched as well.
3 > Good searches at Google.com (need to know some terms (see # 7 below))
4 > try http://www.google.com/linux
5 > or http://www.google.com/bsd
6 > try something like http://www.[library or distro here].org || net || com
7 > the FOLDOC http://www.foldoc.org/
8 > man [command or file name]
9 > info [command or file name]

With the prolegomenon out of the way

What server are you talking about (choose one or more)?
(not yelling, just acronymns)
FTP?
TFTP?
NTP?
SMTP?
LDAP?
SQL?
SLIP?
GOPHER?
PPP?
SSH?
TELNET?
L2TP?
RADIUS?
NNTP?
DNS?
IPSec? (or is that a node?)
POP3?
IMAP?
HTTP?
HTTPS?
SOAP?
NFS?
WINS?
NetBIOS?
Print? (Unix or Windows? or both)
 --  Theres still more --

Just guessing but, if you want a web server its HTTP/HTTPS and most folks
would recommend Apache (http://www.apache.org/).  I think that like 56% of
the internet uses that one.  FTP ? (I need help here, I use PureFTPD
http://www.pureftpd.org/).  The web server will need a scripting language, I
like PHP http://www.php.net/.

E-Mail (POP3, IMAP, SMTP) can be provided by many different sources.
http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/
http://www.postfix.org/
http://www.sendmail.org/
http://www.washington.edu/imap/  (IMHO: Don't use this one)

SQL
http://www.mysql.org/
http://www.postgresql.org/

SSH (you'll love this one)
http://www.openssh.org/, you'll need http://www.openssl.org/

Everything else deserves a google search.

Other notes:
http://www.perl.org/ with packages from http://www.cpan.org/ can solve
almost anything.
Use http://www.samba.org/ to communicate with Windows