[EMAIL PROTECTED] [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I tried that script also but had no success either.  Maybe I should just do a
>complete re-install.  Something isn't right.  Other than the obvious packages, php &
>apache, are there any other required files to run php?  Iask this because I didn't
>install the complete RH disk set.

What did you install, and how did you install it?  What version
of RH is it - 8.0?

I installed from CD's, and chose all the packages groupings
related to Web Server's, Programming Languages - you want to
be sure you get PHP and all related packages, which should
be(?) in the Programming Languages grouping.

If you're sure you installed all the right packages, then my
gut feeling tells me your problem might be in your Apache
config, but I don't know specifically what the problem is.

Can you run other non-PHP cgi scripts?

I think(?) that if you choose the right package groupings
and customize your httpd.conf to your site, that Apache
and PHP should work together fine - and your original test
script that you included should work.

An extra nice thing(not necessary for PHP to work) is to
change that php.ini short tag setting to "On", so that you
can use short tags "<? ... ?>" instead of having to
specify the long "<?php ... ?> tags.

HTH.

--
Hardy Merrill