Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:08:05 -0500 (EST)
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting temporary environment variables from a script,
probable
 newbie question

On 10 Jan 2003, Peter Davie wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having a problem with setting environment variables that are only
> supposed to exist in that terminal session. The script is shown below.

any changes you make in a shell script that you run *normally* are
not reflected in your current shell, as shell scripts are typically
run in a subshell.  so setting variables, or changing directories,
will not affect what's happening at the command line ...

... unless you run the script by "sourcing" it, as in

  $ . (scriptname)

the "." represents a command that will run the script at the
current (in your case, command line) level.

rday

Peter Davie
Jade Software (M) Sdn Bhd
www.jadesoft.com