On Friday 10 January 2003 11:07 am, Toralf Lund wrote:
> I have a driver for an optional hardware component (a frame grabber)
> that I want the system to set up automatically upon reboot after the
> hardware has been installed. I've managed to modify
> /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids and /usr/share/hwdata/pcitable in such a
> manner that "kudzu" will correctly update /etc/modules.conf (after the
> usual user confirmation.) However, I also need to create special device
> files for the unit. What's the best/recommended way of doing that?

mknod

'man mknod' for details, but basic usage is:
mknod NAME TYPE MAJOR MINOR
I had a feeling someone would misunderstand my request...

I *know* how a device file may be created, that was not the question. What I asked for was the "right" or "best" way to create the standard devices for a hardware driver driver. I'm assuming 'mknod' on the command driver is not it, since I didn't do that for the SCSI modules, or audio, or

that was not the question. How can the device creation process be automated? And to a certain extent also: Where do the device files from other standard or optional hardware/drivers come from?

- Toralf