Yes, that helps. Thanks very much!

David

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 10:35 AM, Matthews, John wrote:

The headers from kernel 2.4.9-9 were most likley used when glibc was
compiled. This is the correct way of doing things and you should not alter
your /usr/include/linux link. If your compiling your own kernel module you
should not be using the header files from /usr/include/linux, but instead
specify the location of the kernel your compiling against yourself. You
might also want to pay attention to using MODVERSIONS, if your kernel is
compiled with that you'll have to include another file and a #define in your
source for the module.

So to recap, don't worry about /usr/include/linux, it is fine. Also, Linus
has advised many times in the past to not alter the /usr/src/linux link, it
typically points to the kernel headers used when glibc is compiled, and I
believe on many systems, /usr/include/linux is a symbolic link to
/usr/src/linux.

Hope this helps.
-John Matthews

-----Original Message-----
From: David Betz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 9:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mismatch between /usr/include/linux and the kernel

I just installed RedHat 8.0 including the kernel development package
and used it to build a simple kernel module. When I tried to load the
kernel module I got an error saying there was a version mismatch. When
I checked /usr/include/linux/version.h I noticed that it said the
kernel version was 2.4.9-9 but the actual kernel installed with RedHat
8.0 is 2.4.18-14. Why is there a mismatch between the installed kernel
and the kernel include files? What is the best way to bring my include
directory in sync with the kernel?

Thanks,
David Betz