Ed Wilts wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:30:11AM -0800, Samuel Flory wrote:

For the most part RH is simply packaging these programs in an rpm.

Take a quick look through the changelogs:
rpm -q <package> --changelog | less
Now tell me that it's a simple packaging.  You're so far out of line
you're insulting the Red Hat engineers.

Actually 90% of that is intergrating patches from elsewhere.

I'm not saying that redhat doesn't go to a lot of effort. Trust me I know how much work goes into what redhat does. I managed VA Linux's software load for over a year.

What I am saying is that Red Hat is taking gpl code that was produced by the community. So I fail to see what is wrong with their changes going back into the community

Besides the whole point of AS is the support, and certifications.

And the 3-year commitment to security releases. Think that's trivial?
Grab a 3-year old arbitrary package and see how many fixes need to be
applied. Now test them with every combination of the packages that the
user may typically have installed.

You make support sound like it's a matter of a user picking up the phone
and asking how to configure X. Support is a LOT more than that. Doing
it properly is expensive and time consuming. Providing patches for
security holes is expensive and sometimes needs to be done on weekends
or evenings depending on the severity. Emergency testing needs to be
done.

Red Hat has made, and is continuing to made, an important and expensive
contribution to the community. Although you may legally continue to
distribute your own copies of the AS SRPMs, if everyone does it,
eventually Red Hat will be forced to discontinue the product. If it
doesn't make money and has no prospect to make money, don't expect any
legitimate business to continue to do it. Red Hat expects to be able to
pay their staff, and rightfully so.

Actually I was trying to point out how silly it is to use AS outside of RH's program. The reason to use AS is not that there is anything special about 95% of the AS packages. The reason to use AS is to have someone standing behind you when you run across an issue.

Personally I'd prefer to use the std Red Hat releases. In fact I've purchased a copy of every Red Hat since 6.2. Despite the fact that I'd already downloaded a copy the day of the release.
--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.