On 15-Jan-2003/21:33 -0600, John Nichel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>These "howtos" will
>tell you that the internal ip's must be set too 192.168.0.xxx, but
>that's not the case.  I'm doing this on my home network (just moved to a
>place where we don't have DSL, and the only modem we have is a freaking
>WinModem), and my internal IP's are set to 11.11.68.xxx (my birthday :).

You can set the IP octets to almost anything from 0-255, but that doesn't
make it a good idea to do so.

What will happen when you attempt to connect to a web server whose real,
legally assigned IP address also happens to be part of the subnet that
you're using? You will not be able to connect. The packets will stay
within your network.

RFC1918 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt> sets aside three groups of
IP addresses that are intended to be used in private networks.  If you use
publicly available IP addresses for your private network, and that
network has any connection to the Internet, then you're asking for
trouble.

You can do what you like, but when making recommendations to other people
who are just learning how to do this it is best to use RFC1918 addresses.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D