On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 09:35, Roger Schmeits wrote:
> We have about 150 faculty members with 600 student accounts and are
> looking to and 3000 alumni members accounts in the spring (eeek!).

Well, we are supporting only about 1000 users with sendmail and
spamassassin (run via spamc) alone (no virus scanning, that is) on a
dual 1Ghz P3 system with 2GB of RAM.  Performance is awful, and the load
is around 30 most of the day.  Spamassassin really isn't to blame
either, performance was basically this bad before it was introduced.

The problem is largely in that sendmail uses mbox files, and a couple of
users leave mail on the server though they're told not to, and they eat
all of the disk bandwidth (every mail check reads and then re-writes
their entire mail spool).

Just wanted to illustrate that performance bottlenecks aren't always
where you expect them...  Your setup will need to be tested by you. :)

We're moving on to a scalable email system built like so:
1.8Ghz Xeon / 1GiB RAM / 1TiB disk for /home
- Server provides NFS service

Cluster of initially 2:
800 Mhz P3 / 500 MiB RAM / 20 GiB disk
- Courier SMTP
- Courier IMAP
- Courier POP
- Apache
- Courier Webmail
- Spamassassin
- OpenAntiVirus virus scanner
- mounts /home from NFS server

The CPU in the NFS server is way more than it needs, and the disk in the
clustered machines is greater than their needs, but both of those were
the smallest options available.

The clustered boxes operate in DNS round-robin fashion for basic load
balancing, and are configured identically except for their IP addresses
and hostnames.  The cluster should be linearly scalable, so performance
can be dealt with by adding additional machines to that cluster.

The whole thing takes less than a day to set up.  NFS is available on a
standard Server install of RHL, but I use this kickstart file instead:
http://rh-install.prognet.com/kickstart/ks-73-default.cfg
Set up the NFS share and LDAP or NIS access (in my case, already
provided on other machines) on that server and it's done.

The clusters are similar.  Used the above kickstart to install the OS,
and then used apt-get to install the rest of the packages from here:
http://www.dragonsdawn.net/apt/redhat/7.3/en/i386/RPMS.dragonsdawn/

So, installing that software took:
apt-get install courier courier-imapd courier-maildrop courier-smtpauth
        courier-webmail apache ScannerDaemon amavis-courier spamassassin

Configure the cluster box for LDAP or NIS access, mount /home from the
NFS server, and configure the domains that you want to receive mail for
and this is also basically done.

Moving forward, I'm working on getting amavisd to work with Courier so
that virus scanning will require less overhead.  Some virus scanners
work with courier directly, and don't require the amavis component at
all.