On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 11:43, David Busby wrote:
> Reading this response reminds me why (one of the reasons) I started using
> Postfix,

I don't really know what you mean by that, but every workload will be
different.  My server is set up in an enterprise environment, where
email is a critical function.  There's an enormous volume, even among a
small number of users, and the scalability of the system is important.
That said, I don't think the two servers will work very hard.  Sendmail
is slow;  Courier, postfix, qmail, exim will all run circles around it.

> I support about 200 users, all via IMAP/WebMail.  Lots of server space is
> used by the old e-mail, but performance is still good...when using maildir/
> Of course one machine is the SMTP/IMAP and the other is the intranet server
> + e-mail access.  I think the e-mail server is only a 500Mhz + 256MB.  I get
> filtering from the Postfix RBL code, and no virus scanner (is there a free
> one that will plug in good to Postfix?)  FWIW The loadavg on the machine is
> like .70, and nobody complains.

Yeah, but you've already pointed out how different our setups are.  I
ran RBL before, and I may again.  Courier certainly supports it.
Additionally, we have active virus and spam filtering in place, which
you do not.  Hardware requirements depend entirely on the service you
want to offer, not just the number of users to be supported.