I’d say you probably don’t have dns servers configured.  Are you getting your ip via dhcp?  Take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf, this is where name server information is kept. Is there anything in this file?

When you say you cannot ping computers on the web, are you trying to ping via dns name or IP?  Meaning if you can’t ping www.yahoo.com, can you ping 66.218.71.89?  If you can’t ping the IP address, there may be another problem lurking.

As far as the delay you experience when ssh’ing into machines that you have name resolution via /etc/hosts, take a look at /etc/nsswitch.conf.  My guess would be on the line that begins with “hosts” (for example my line reads “hosts:      files   nisplus  dns) dns or nisplus is probably listed before files.  And you may be trying to reach a dns server that doesn’t respond before it times out and references /etc/hosts.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Art Ross
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 2:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DNS Problem! I think?

I have a laptop, Dell Inspiron 8000.  I've purchased two HDs for it.  Like all laptops I only have one HD in the laptop at a time.  I
originally installed RH7.3 on one of these HDs and everything works fine.  Well, I had the need to install RH7.3 on the second HD.
Upon completing the install, I checked my networking and received the following results.

·         I can ping anyone by IP number.  This includes computers on my home network as well as on the Web.  The response time is normal and correct.

·         I can ping computers on my home network by name and the lookup is from the 'hosts' file.

·         I cannot ping computers on the Web from this machine.  The ping times out and I receive a message stating the web address was not reachable.

·         Also, when I try to ssh into other machines on my home network by hostname there is a large delay time.  When I conduct an ssh by IP number the delay disappears.

Since I had an identical working install of RH7.3 working.  I begin
swapping the network configuration files from the working
version to the nonworking version.  These files include  /etc/hosts,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/resolv.conf.  To
no avail, I still have the same problem.  Does anyone have a clue?

Since the original install of RH7.3 I increased the amount of memory in the Inspiron from two 128MB bars to two 256MB bars.

This one has me stumped.  Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
  Art