On 21 Jan 2003 16:14:34 +0100, Mertens Bram wrote:

> I just downloaded kernel 2.4.18-19.7 from
> ftp://back01.us.megagiga.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.3/en/os/i386
>
> I'll upgrade this ASAP

i386? Are you sure? According to your signature you have an i686, so
you should install kernel, glibc and a few other packages for i686.

> > No. Kernel headers for your kernel are in the
> > kernel-source-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm  package (or newer version,
> > provided that you upgraded the kernel also).
>
> So glibc-kernheaders is supposed to have a different version number
> than the other glibc-packages and even the current kernel?

Yes, and it is okay as long as the kernel API doesn't change.

> I found version 2.2.5-42 of glibc, would it be a good idea to upgrade,
> rather than trying to get this fixed with the current version?

2.2.5-42 is most recent for Valhalla.

> >   1. rm -f /etc/localtime /etc/adjtime
>
> How about /etc/localtime.rpmnew?

Feel free to erase it. It is the default config file from the
glibc-common package which RPM did not install over your customized
time config.

> Why /etc/adjtime?

It is not related to your problem, but since you've (re-)set your
time many times by now, I want to avoid any problems with automatic
time adjustment.

> >   2. rpm -Uvh glibc-common-APPROPRIATET_VERSION_HERE*
>
> Ok but what would the appropriate version be?
> Right now I have:
> [root@localhost rpms]# rpm -qa | grep glibc
> glibc-2.2.5-42
> glibc-debug-2.2.5-42
> glibc-common-2.2.5-42
> compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2
> glibc-utils-2.2.5-42
> glibc-profile-2.2.5-42
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16
> glibc-debug-static-2.2.5-42
> glibc-devel-2.2.5-42
> But I just downloaded:
> [root@localhost rpms]# ls | grep glibc
> glibc-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
> glibc-common-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
> glibc-debug-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
> glibc-debug-static-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
> glibc-devel-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16.i386.rpm
> glibc-profile-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
> glibc-utils-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm

Those are the same than what you have installed. The ".i386.rpm" is
just a file name extension. ;)

> [notice I didn't find compat-glibc-2.2.4-42]

There is none. It is a backward compatibility package for Red
Hat Linux 6.2.

  $ rpm --redhatprovides compat-glibc
  compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2

- --