On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:28:44AM -0500, Ernest Ellingson wrote:
> Thanks for all of your help.  I appreciate the information.  I suspected
> I'd been hacked but wasn't sure.
If you've been hacked, upgrading the box is *NOT* the answer - a
complete re-install from trusted sources is.

There is a chkrootkit utility that might help you, but you'll still need
to re-install from scratch.  All chkrootkit will tell you is confirm
that you've been hacked and by what.  http://www.chkrootkit.org/

> I guess the install from scratch will re-format
> the disks and this hack will disappear.  Is that right?

It won't re-format but will re-initialize the partitions.  I believe it
prompts for each one but can't remember, so check this out.  You may be
able to get away with leaving /home alone

> I was also told by someone that the dns files should be tested first on
> a 7.x box (I have a 7.1 box but it's not running bind yet)

If you coded your named config files correctly, you'll be fine.  The
systems here didn't have problems, nor did my home system.  You may be
able to just get away with using your old config files and seeing if it
fails first before worrying about it.  There isn't a lot of major
reconstructing you'll need to do since the older bind did do some
checking.  You might just be missing some punctuation.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]