Using RH 8, 5 day old installation with updates, I can't connect to a MySQL database
using PHP in a script. As of the mysql_connect command, it dies with the message 'Call
to undefined function: mysql_connect().'

There was a fairly detailed discussion of this problem on the php-general list I found
on Google Groups of about 1 1/2 months ago, but it was without resolution.

System info:

php info shows compiled 'with-mysql=shared,/usr'
php version is 4.2.2
apache 2.0.40
mysql 3.23.54

It was suggested that I explicitly declare the port for mysql in php.ini. Tried that -
no joy. I explicitly declared the port in the mysql_connect statement - no joy.

Mysql works fine from the command line using mysqladmin or mysql -u user -p. The
Apache server works fine, and loads the php module just fine. PHP is working fine.
Libphp4.so is loaded. I can type in the user name and password I'm using in the script
and connect to mysql on the command line.

Can anyone help?

TIA,
Paul