People,

I installed Red Hat 7.3 on my Compaq Evo.  It recognized my
peripherals.  The problem is to set up the ACPI.

I donīt know exactly what are the step that I have to do to make ACPI
works.

My kernel is 2.4.19.  I patched my kernel with the ACPI patch and
recompiled it the ACPI options. After that I make bzImage, modules,
modules_install and install.  That worked fine.

Then I downloaded acpid RPM with the acpi daemon and installed it.  When

I tried to start it, calling acpid, the message above was thrown:
acpid daemon: acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event

The directory /proc/acpi doesn't exist.   Some places tell about the
directory /proc/sys/acpi it doesn't exist too.   I did look at the Linux

ACPI Howto (<www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/>) and  from there I learned
that there are  supposed to be at least 4 more  executables whose names
begin with acpi, but which don't exist.

What I did wrong ??  What is missing ?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,