Well, this should be dead easy...and I've read the man & info pages, but I
still get this problem:

I'm upgrading from 6.2 to 7.3.  I have both installed and running on
separate HDDs on this computer.  I want to copy all of each user's files
from the old system to the new.  I have the new drive's home directory
mounted as /mnt/new.  So, I want to
cp /home/user/<all files and folders> /mnt/new/user

I used this command from either the /home directory or from the
/home/user directory:

#cp -rvp /home/user/.* /mnt/new/user

and what happens is below /mnt/new/user I get all of the files (and
sub-directories)being copied from the /home directory.

Now I know that I'll have to run cp again to get the files that are not
"dot" files, but that's not the issue.  The problem is that I get all of
the other user's files on the system being cp'ed into /mnt/new/user.

Help, please!

Mark