Tim Larkins (EUKSHEL1PO) wrote:

> I've recently added a number of new items to my RH5 system.. namely a
> WangDat 3200 and a 4x Sony CD-ROM..
>
> I haven't even looked at the WangDat yet so thats not really an issue..
> however, the cd-rom is another matter..  I've already got an IDE CD-Rom in
> my system which works fine.. I mounted it under /mnt/cdrom and has the
> symbolic link /mnt/cdrom -> /dev/hdc (i think thats right... i'm doing this
> from memory)..
>
> I haven't actually tried this yet.. but I'm sitting here and wondering how
> exactly I'm going to mount my scsi cd-rom...  is it simply a case of
> creating somic like /mnt/cdrom2 and then adding a line to fstab with somic
> like the following..
>
> /mnt/cdrom2     /dev/<cdrom device>...  etc...etc...etc
>
> I assume the link /dev/cdrom is only there to make it all look nice     and
> there is no actuall reason for it other than that?  If its not, and there is
> some specific purpose to it then what link should I use to reference my
> second CD?

Right about your assumption. I've changed my SCSI CD to mount at /cdrom
and a couple of harddrives to mount at /hd and /hd2. That way I don't
have to kepp typing the /mnt part.

So, mine is like this

/dev/sda1          /hd            etc...etc...etc...
/dev/sdb1          /hd2           etc...etc...etc...
/dev/scd0          /cdrom         etc...etc...etc...
/dev/sdc1          /zip           etc...etc...etc...

No symlinks involved in this at all.

> While we're on the subject of this...  I've also got a CDW (Yamaha 100).. in
> windows95/NT i can use it as a normal cd-rom too.. has anyone tried this in
> linux?

Not I.

--
WIN95: Where did you think you were going?