Steve Curry wrote:

> DING DING DING...... LLLLLLLLLLet's get ready to
> ruuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUmmmmmmble!!!
>
>         Ok I have a Linux box with a 3com 509 card installed, but when I install
> an Adaptec 2940UW into the box the 3com can no longer talk to the network.
> Linux see's the 3com and doesn't see the Adaptec, and it still will not let
> the 3com talk to the network(pinging from other workstations to the Linux
> box doesn't work either). If you take out the Adaptec BAM!! the 3com works
> great again.... How can I get these two devices to work, while living in
> the same Linux box?
>
>         I have configured the RH Linux box for the Adaptec 2940 and the 3com 509.
> What else can I do to give this story a happy ending? I have already read
> up on as many HOWTO's as I  can and no luck, so pointing me in that
> direction won't work. (Sorry :-)..... I think if I could get Red Hat to see
> the Adaptec 2940UW it would cure these problems, but I have yet to get
> linux to see the 2940.

OK...there's been several suggestions so far, mainly relating to I/O and IRQ
conflicts between the two cards.  First, let me point out that a 2940 and a
3c509 will *never* have I/O port conflicts.  They may have IRQ conflicts.
IRQ conflicts can usually be solved either by changing the IRQ on the 3c509
or by going into the BIOS setup on your computer and reserving the 3c509's
IRQ so that PCI devices aren't allowed to use that one.

However, although that may be a problem later, I don't think that's your
problem now.  When you put in the 2940, your system stops seeing the 3c509,
but it also doesn't see the 2940 either.  This usually is indicative of a
hardware problem.  My first recommendation would be that you may have either
a bad PCI slot or a bad 2940 controller.  Try putting the 2940 into a
different PCI slot and see what happens then.  FWIW, I got a brand new
motherboard not too long ago that had a bad PCI slot.  Any card that went
into that slot would not work properly, and one card I put in that slot that
would cause any other machine to lock hard at PCI BIOS scan time made no
difference on this machine because it was in a bad slot where it couldn't
take the machine down.

--

 Doug Ledford  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but