On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:57:50AM -0500, Jihuang Zhou wrote:
> I have a box with 320M bytes memory. From /proc/meminfo I saw my total system value
>is less than 320M. In Redhat 7.0, it's 313.812Mbyte, in Redhat 7.3, it's 311.43Mbyte.

Please wrap your lines to <80 characters.

> Why system reports different value? Is there any method I can find the 320M physical
>memory size?

Do you have on-board video?  If so, the shared memory used by the
graphics card will be deducted from the total.

You also need to factor in the difference as to how different pieces
calculate a megabyte.  Is it 1000 kilobytes or 1024 kilobytes?
Similarly, is a kilobyte a 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes?  Although there are
now formal standards on how these should be specified, few vendors
actually use those standards.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]