On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Phil Risby wrote:

> I am trying to find out if the Pentium ll series wuld be a better bet
> to say a Pentium Pro 200

The only advantages to the Pentium II is the megahertz speed and the MMX.
Since Linux doesn't use the MMX (in fact practically nobody uses the MMX
due to Intel's brain dead implementation of it) you only gain the
megahertz.

> 1) Pentium Pro is dying out

Unless you plan on needing a lot of spare CPU's this is not relevant.

> 2) Pentium ll go upto what is ti now 400 Mhz?

There's your only advantage.

> 3) Pentium Pro is a neat chip for 32 bit OS's

Pentium Pro and Pentium II have comparable 32-bit performance.

> Anyone any comments ( or bogomips)?

Come on now.  Bogomips are irrelevant and you should know that.  I think
it would be better if the kernel didn't output them at all, so that people
are not tricked into thinking the value has a meaning.

In any case, the performance is pretty similar per-MHz running Linux.
However, there are three particular factors.
1) The Pentium II runs at higher speeds.
2) The Pentium Pro has an L2 cache which is twice as fast.
3) It is easier to get a Pentium II motherboard with SDRAM.  SDRAM makes a
very great performance difference and is probably more important than your
CPU type.  (Not that it's impossible to get a PPro motherboard with SDRAM,
but practically all P2 boards support it).

If it's important, you can put up to four PPro CPU's in a system, whereas
the P2 is limited to two.  Of course the motherboard is an even more
important factor here. :)

> Also the use tthe system is for plays a part I know.

Not so much under Linux, given otherwise identical system configurations
(RAM, motherboard, video card, etc.)

> Lets say fp performance is important for graphics and rendering!

FP performance is comparable on either chip.