Robert,

Thanks for the detailed insight. Your suggestions are taking to heart, esp. about
security and the nutsNbolts of configuration.

I do believe I did crack the problem. :D I poked around a bit in the startup logs and
noted that I was "INIT: Entering runlevel: 5"... this queued me to my problem. I was
doing all of my work in runlevel 3 (/etc/rc.d/rc3.d). Opps.

Not a newbie, more of an advanced novice. But still stumble around sometimes in the
darker recesses of customizing a Red Hat installation.

Thanks a lot!
Tim