At 06:58 17/02/2003 -0800, you wrote:
This was the first time I built a custom kernel so I went from the same
configuration that my current installed system used for these options.  Say
I didn't want to rely on the make install procedure... How would I rebuild
the initrd properly. This is the process I followed.
make clean
make mrproper
make menuconfig
make
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

copy bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to /boot
edit the grub.conf file by copying the previous entries and making a new
entry and changing the vmlinuz kernel pointer to the new bzImage filename.
All the above is quite correct although I do

"make dep clean && make bzImage modules && make modules_install"

as one command. (The && means "continue if last completed successfully")
This allows one to go and get coffee, returning to find a built kernel or the
reason why the build failed...

Then as you do, copy the new kernel to /boot and modify the bootloader
accordingly. As I build my root filesystem driver into the kernel I don't need
to update initrd - but I have seen it done and the process involves mkinitrd.
"man mkinitrd"  (sorry  ;> )

hih
nick@nexnix

What is missing? How do i do the initrd setup?