On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:38:13 -0800
Richard Kurth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello redhat-list,
>
> I just installed RedHat 8.0 as a new install on my server know when I
> look at the man pages they all look like this below, they all have
> â__a in them every one of them. What can I do to fix this I tried
> reloading the rpm for man pages I even went to RedHat and downloaded
> it and they did not change
>
> List  information  about  the FILEs (the current directory by
> default).
>        Sort entries alphabetically if none of â__cftuSUX nor
>        â__â__sort.
>
>        Mandatory arguments to long options are  mandatory  for  short
>        options too.
>
>        â__a, â__â__all
>               do not hide entries starting with .
>
>        â__A, â__â__almostâ__all
>               do not list implied . and ..
>
>        â__â__author
>               print the author of each file
>
>        â__b, â__â__escape
>               print octal escapes for nongraphic characters
>
>        â__â__blockâ__size=SIZE
>               use SIZEâ__byte blocks

My fix for the whole affair was to change a line in /etc/sysconfig/i18n
to read:

LANG="en_US"

It might have worked just to log out and back in, but I changed
runlevels to 1 and back (could have rebooted, too) and all was well.

I did that to fix something else (I don't remember what now), but that
was the most obvious change after I did it.

--
I might be crazier than you think.