If I recall - Red Hat has made it so you have to go through hoops to
enable DMA on cdrom/dvd devices.

I don't use Red Hat's kernel so that's not an issue for me - but
apparently, with Red Hat's kernel, you have to add a line to
modules.conf to be able to enable dma on your dvd drive.

I think the ogle website has info on how to do it.

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 19:40, knesbitt wrote:
> I am having trouble trying to get mplayer to play dvd's without momentary
> freezing. The reference docs make mention of the "hdparm" command to set the
> DMA and read ahead modes on the drive. Has this feature not been compiled
> into the current 8.0 kernel? I receive a "bad command" when I attempt to run
> this at the command line. Not sure how to querry the status of the device
> ore set the DMA without this command.
> Appreciate any help!
>
> Regards,
>
> K. Nesbitt