-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Bret Hughes
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 8:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: hdparm - exist?

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 21:40, knesbitt wrote:
> I am having trouble trying to get mplayer to play dvd's without momentary
> freezing. The reference docs make mention of the "hdparm" command to set
the
> DMA and read ahead modes on the drive. Has this feature not been compiled
> into the current 8.0 kernel? I receive a "bad command" when I attempt to
run
> this at the command line. Not sure how to querry the status of the device
> ore set the DMA without this command.
> Appreciate any help!

must be root or it won't be found.  Check out this link for whayt I did
to fix my 7.3 dvd

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=redhat-list&m=104187068608238&w=2

Bret

---
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:03:59PM +0200, Willem van der
Walt<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Should i also load a module for the ide hard disk somewhere?

If you're using the kernel from the updates, edit /etc/modules.conf and
add the following line to it:

options ide-cd dma=1

Then, run the commands:

modprobe -r ide-cd
modprobe ide-cd

You should now be using DMA on your cdrom.

Emmanuel

---