On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 05:11:39PM -0600, Tim Willis wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas about this?
>
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 09:02, Tim Willis wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I left my machine on over the weekend this weekend to test something
> > I've been having a problem with.  Seems as though if I leave my machine
> > idle for some time, and the screensaver comes on and locks the screen,
> > then when I log back in, the machine *stutters.*  What I mean is, it
> > seems to be locking up every three or four seconds, for about a second
> > and a half...this makes it hard to manipulate the mouse as you can
> > imagine.
> >
> > While it's exhibiting this behavior, I check out sysmon, and nothing is
> > out of the ordinary there...I've even been able to stop the xscreensaver
> > process, but still, there's no change in behavior.  I had thought that
> > it might be the power management functionality, so I turned that off and
> > left for a while.  When I came back, everything was fine.  So I thought
> > "problem solved."  A little demon (or daemon) voice in my head said "do
> > a longer test," so I left it on over the weekend, without the PM stuff,
> > and the same thing happened....any ideas?
> >
> > Running RH8 on a Dell OptiPlex GX400.....

I experienced some weirdness when I installed the Phoebe3 beta a while ago.
There was a runaway process that pegged CPU usage near 100%. It finally died
after a few days but until it did, the whole system was dog slow as could be
expected.

This is all a long-winded way to say that the best way to try to track
it down is to run top and look for a hog. Sounds to me like xscreensaver
- or some other app interacting with xscreensaver - is pegging things
  for a bit after resuming.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]