Tim Willis <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tuesday, 4 March
2003 09:11:

> Ok, call me stupid, because that's the way I feel right now...someone
> tell me why I can't ping NetBios names?  And if I should be able to
> ping them, someone please tell me what I've done wrong.... --
> J. Tim Willis

To expand on Edward's comments, ping is specific to IP protocols.
Netbios traffic, on the other hand, while now mainly carried by IP,
was also historically carried by IPX and even Netbeui.
So a Netbios machine does not even necessarily grok TCP/IP.
The Netbios name is completely different from the IP-based domain name.
Sometimes, for ones own sanity, it is useful to force them to be the
same, but that requires some degree of cooperation between how you configure
your windows domain and your IP addressing.

The gory details are presented in some of the documents on the samba
web site (www.samba.org).

Samba has utilities that perform the rough equivalent of a netbios ping
(but it only works only over TCP/IP anyway).

Cameron.