I've been trying to add /usr/sbin and /sbin to my path by doing export
PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin.  However, it seems to only work for the
current terminal session.  When I re-open the terminal and echo $PATH,
the two directories are gone from my PATH.

I've looked at the .bashrc in my home directory, and all I see is the
following:

if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
        . /etc/bashrc
fi

I've looked at /etc/bashrc, but can't tell where to edit the actual
path.  What am I doing wrong?

I want to add these so I can run ifconfig and traceroute without having
to cd to their relative directories.

Thanks!

--
J. Tim Willis
“A Computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.”