On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>
> >Sometimes hardware is just crappy--even when it's brand new. If you have
> >lots of unexplainable errors, it's sometimes cheaper just to buy a new
> >system than to troubleshoot the components.
> >

>     The bad thing is, it's been running fine...till now.  The other
> bad thing is, it's going to cost upwards of $430 for a new board for
> this box.  Blah!  Not counting having to rebuild the system because of
> a different brand board with different chipsets....  Or do I?

I am new to this thread - did you try updating to the latest kernel?
Some people had problems with the 2.4.18-17 and others with the
2.4.18-18 kernels.  I am not sure about the 2.4.18-24 kernels...

In any case, you will not have to rebuild the system because of changes
in the motherboard chipset.  If you change CPUs, you have to make sure
the new CPU will run the installed kernel.  Changing Video means
reconfiguring X, but minor stuff.

You can do things like pull the hard drive from an installed Pentium
system, and drop it into an Athlon system, and have it work in text
mode.  X may even work, depending on the origional and new vedio chip
sets...

Mikkel