From: Jeff Kinz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 7:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NIC duplex

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 07:16:08AM -0900, Don Leeper wrote:
> I was informed the mii-tool will do it. I have Intel nics, and it seems
that
> when I am able to force them to the correct duplex as my switch, they run
> better. It seems that between the NIC and my HP switch it is best to
> manually change the duplex to whatever the port on the switch is set to. I
> know that auto detect usually works pretty good on Linux but according to
HP
> support it was a good idea to change it. I can easily change it on a
windows
> box but I didn't know an easy way to change it in Redhat. It would be nice
> to be able to change it in the network config gui.(for anyone from RedHat)

Yeah - some of the folks who work in this area are aware of the need but
it looks like it might be a tough one to crack.

They haven't' a consistent way to do it from the command line, much
less a GUI.

One thing I read said you should not have full duplex turned on when the NIC
is connected to a switch.  What are you setting the duplex, full or half?

Have you noticed any performance benefist/problems either way?

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an