On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 06:36:07AM -0800, Randy Arnold wrote:

> I am sure that this is self inflicted.
> I did an upgrade to RH 8.0 from 7.3.
>
> I had many problems with RPM, and seemed to have them
> resolved them with the help of this list.
>
> Now, for some reason my RPM database is gone.
>
> When I do rpm -qa all I see is the rpm packages.
>
> rpm --rebuild takes all of one second to complete.
> rpm --initdb does not help.

If you did an --initdb, the database really is gone now if it wasn't
before.  That's the purpose of initdb.  man rpm would have told you
that.

> The packages *are* installed and everything works, with
> exception of up2date which makes sense.
>
> Any ideas?

If you have backups of /var/lib/rpm, restore them.  If not, you've got 2
basic choices, both ugly:
1.  Find every file on the system and attempt to determine which package
they came from.  Then rpm -ivh --justdb <package>.  If you registered
and updated via RHN, then go to the web site and extract the package
list.  That will save you a *lot* of work.  If you've done an up2date -p
since you corrupted your database, you've dug yourself deeper in a hole.
2.  Do a fresh install.

That's why we have backups.  If you accidently corrupt something
critical, like you did, you can restore.  At an absolute minimum, backup
the output of rpm -qa. A Red Hat Linux system without a valid rpm
database is extremely difficult to manage.

If you have an accurate package list from RHN or your backups, use
option 1.  If you don't, use option 2.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]