On rh8 I did a no hassle mount command and the card was immediatly usable? I was using sandisk adapter but doubt that makes a difference.

Now I mutilated the card with openBSD partitions and am having fun convincing the laptop to boot from it.

Next mission: make a nice oak box for nasty embedded training on my chop-suey laptop mother board.

Benny

 Jack Bowling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

** Reply to message from Benjamin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>on Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:27:28 -0800 (PST)

> Update. I returned the 256mb flash and the new one seems to work brilliantly. I was forced to get another of the same simpletech brand by the store though.
> I'm working on hacking down the kernel to fit the compactflash. Has anyone used RH8 for this specific journey?
> Benny
> Benjamin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> I was instantly able to use a 32mb mem card (sandisk) where my 256mb (simpletech) was not ever attached.
> the 32mb upon insertion was placed to /dev/hde(1) immediatly. Easily mountable and usable in RH8 on dell 7500 laptop.
> Anyone else having issues with 256mb or higher flash type cards.

Not with 256Mb cards. But I had a 128Mb CF card that would only allow reading from if I specifically gave it the following mount options! :

mount -t vfat -o noauto,nosuid,rw /dev/sdd1 /mnt/flash

Without these options, I could not read from the card.

jb