Am Mon, 2003-03-10 um 16.31 schrieb Robert P. J. Day:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > When I build ext3 not as a module (CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y, CONFIG_JBD=y),
> > I can boot the kernel fine without a RAM-disk. "LABEL=" has never
> > worked for me in GRUB boot menu. But it works in fstab in both
> > cases. Whether or not ext3 is a module, doesn't have an influence on
> > partition labels.
>
> i *know* there was something regarding building ext3 support either
> into the kernel directly or leaving it as a module that affected
> whether or not you could use "LABEL=" entries in /etc/fstab.
> my memory is failing -- can *anyone* remember this from threads
> gone by?
>
> one of the things i'm pretty sure i recall is that you can build
> ext3 support as a module, then totally *forget* to build a ramdisk
> and everything will still boot properly since (again, from memory),
> the root FS will first be mounted as ext2, then be *remounted*
> as ext3 via /etc/rc.sysinit later.
>
> i remember something like the above clearly since i was once
> teaching an RH admin class, and wanted to demonstrate the grief
> one would have in leaving ext3 support as a module, then forgetting
> to create the appropriate initrd file.  to my chagrin, the boot
> went fine.
>
> anyway, there are some subtleties here -- i just don't remember
> what they are without more caffeine.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  of course, i could always just "RTFM".  right, michael? :-P

You are right, i had this problem (compile ext3 as module or not?), too.
I have tried it out and took a look in sysconfig, first / is
mounted as ext2 and later remounted as ext3.

But i can imagine, that this is works only with the 'original' redhat
initrd-file, because it's configured for this.

regards,
hampel