On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Kent Borg wrote:

> Cool.  I have use for that, but I have a related question too: How do
> I easily have a second configuration for my eth0?  Mostly I use DHCP
> for my notebook, but there is one network I visit where I need to have
> a fixed IP address.  Right now I use a hacky script that doesn't work
> very well.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -kb

I have an ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 that both use "DEVICE=eth0" and
"ONBOOT=no".  One is configured with the static address I need on one
network, and the other is configured for DHCP.  they are both set with
"USERCTL=yes", so I don't have to be root to bring them up.  This works
well for me, as I do not bring up ether interface when I am portable,
and I bring up the right interface for the network I am connected to
when I am connected.  (I also have a PPP interface set up for when I
use dialup...)

Maybe I'll get more creative one of these days, when I have time to
look into how Windows knows when the laptop is docked...

Mikkel