Thanks,
It is/was my VMware I need to look more into this.
Thanks to all

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 2:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: starting samba error

Have you checked VMWare"s support?  I have had smb service fail with a
similar error message when samba got dumped without removing the file smb
from /var/lock/subsys/.  Close vmware and then start samba.  If it fails,
see if /var/lock/subsys/smb exists and if so remove it.  Then try again.  If
after stopping vmware it starts ok, then you need to find out more from
vmware.

Larry S. Brown
Dimension Networks, Inc.
(727) 723-8388