On 16 Mar 2003, Colburn wrote:

> Thousands of patches and kludges later RH8 is functional but well behind
> the curve.  Anyone know if/when RedHat intends to release a
> significantly upgraded version?  (I am sick of wasting time trying to
> get things to work, or fixing things the updates break.)

Yes, the "Blue Curve" desktop is behind the curve.  RH has been beta
testing RH 8.1.  I have seen statements in bugzilla of "maybe this is too
late to get into the 8.1 release," which suggest that they are close to
finalizing.  I get the feeling that there are customers which will be
effected by the RH 6.2 End of Life on March 31st that would prefer to jump
to RH 8.1 instead of RH 7.3 or RH 8.0 (both of which have their own End of
Life on Dec 31st).

> Feature Wish List:
>
> 1.  Integrated xsane with complete feature support for common scanners,
> including the Memorex MEM48U.

Define "common."  How common can a product be if Google returns *NOTHING*
queried for "mem48u review"??

You want xsane, get it--login as root and type:

rpm -Uvh ftp://ftp.mostang.com/pub/sane/xsane/xsane-0.90-1redhat8.i386.rpm

But the MEM48U driver is still alpha.  You might want to consider buying a
"common" scanner such as the several Epson Perfection models which have
been reviewed by multiple online sites and usually have stable support in
SANE.

> 2.  Integrated E-mail client that includes at least the features of
> MSIE.  (Beonex & Galeon fall short, e.g. neither auto-completes
> addresses and neither of the address books function reliably.)

See answer to item 4 below about getting sylpheed-claws

Btw, I agree with a previous comment that mutt + procmail + vim kick the
ass of anything that Outlook Express does but I get the feeling that vim
is not what the author of this flame is looking for.

> 3.  Integrated dial-up/modem monitor that accurately displays connect,
> data flow, and other information.  (None of the apps I have tried work
> properly.  e.g. the icon shows up but the status lights are unreadable
> and the pop-up fails -- so no info.)

See answer to item 4 below about getting gkrelm

As a side note, I miss rp3.  It just worked as expected and then got
ditched by RH.

> 4.  Integrated image and video display apps.  Have GIMP and GNOME
> running, hacked in MTV for MPEGS, but nothing working for AVI, etc.
> Quite frankly it seems absurd to have to chase down all of this stuff
> for a product I bought (yes, I bought it) that was represented as a
> complete M$ Windows alternative.

Login as root and type:

rpm -Uvh
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/8.0/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc4.1-fr1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/8.0/synaptic/synaptic-0.32-fr1.i386.rpm

Run:  synaptic

Click on "Update List" and then from the packages list:
  Double-click on sylpheed-claws
  Double-click on gkrelm
  Double-click on mplayer
  Double-click on xine

Click on "Proceed"

> 5.  There is more but I have either hacked-in apps, learned to expect a
> lesser product for the sake of not using M$, or given up expecting
> certain things to work for the same reason.  (Oh, StarOffice 6.0, paid
> for that as well, still doesn't integrate properly -- not sure if I
> should blame Sun or RedHat but sure know I should not have to spend
> hours getting two commercial Linux products to talk to each other!
> That's why I moved to RH8 from Debian.)

Sheesh.  If you need everything as part of the OS install CDs or DVD then
maybe you should get SuSE.  Btw, what do you need that SO6 does that Open
Office does not do??  I have played with both and can't find any case
where SO6 really makes much of a difference.