On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 08:32, Colburn wrote:
> > > 2.  Integrated E-mail client that includes at least the features of
> > > MSIE.  (Beonex & Galeon fall short, e.g. neither auto-completes
> > > addresses and neither of the address books function reliably.)
> > Well I'd not be suprised to see that a WEB BROWSER "falls short" of the
> > features of a MAIL CLIENT. Why do you think a web browser should
> > auto-complete email addresses and have an address book? For HTTP
> > addresses, Galeon does do auto-complete. Evolution (and EMAIL CLIENT)
> > does have address books and auto-completion. MSIE is not a mail client
> > either. Maybe try an email client for email. ;)
>
> My error, sorry, careless coding is contagious.  I was referring to
> Ximian Evolution 1.2 which was recommended here as one of the better
> (more robust features) mail apps.

Even then, what you asked for, it already has. As I mentioned, it has
auto-completion for email addresses (I use that feature every day) and
an email address book. Evolution's address book can connect to an LDAP
server, import them from other clients, and IIRC, get them from an
MSExchange2K server (which is LDAP anyway, as I recall). It even
provides you an interface for maintaining a schedule, and can do
free/busy.

> > What do you mean when you claim that SO doesn't "talk" to Linux and
> > vica-versa? What do you mean by "integrate"? it opens files, it writes
> > and reads them, it saves them, it prints them, it can be in the menu,
> > you can have it be the default open action when using Nautilus, etc..
>
> Loaded it and RH8 refuses to recognize it in the menu structure.  The
> only way I can open it is to go to my Home folder and find a SO6
> document to open.  I have tried multiple suggestions from here and the
> Psyche list (including unloading and reloading SO6 to no avail). I tried
> to remove SO5.2 but pieces of it were left scattered across the HDD.

OK, I've got to comment. This is not "integration" as most people
understand it. Simply bein in a menu does not constitute integration.
The aforementioned psyche list does indeed have a solution for adding
menu items. The link given is:
http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

Integration is what leads to you double-clicking that SO file and it
opening the apprpriate application.

SO5.2 is an abomination that should be purged from the earth. ;^) That
said, I think it is wrong to blame "Linux" for what a software vendor
fails to do. If I were to write an app for Windows that failed to
uninstall properly, would you blame me or Microsoft? If you blamed MS,
you would be wrong, but at least you'd be consistent. ;^)

> Much as I enjoy the challenge it really gets old having to struggle with
> almost every app, commercial or freeware.  I simply don't have time and

If the struggle with a commercial app is not worth it, don't spend the
money on it. If it is a hassle, hassle the company that made it.

You may not have noticed, but OpenOffice (essentially SO) is included in
RH, is in the menus, on the taskbar, and is the default office-type
document program. Therefore, it meets your definition of "integrated".
:^) It also requires no effort other than leaving it in the default
install.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773