i love to see this answer by david. the best way is sources. even you'd prefer
sources for additional features.. redhat packages donot come with every
features enables, as it happened with me in the case of samba which i needed to
run with ssl. also distros(particularly redhat) avoid many more libraries, one
i could say is aalib which allows me to view tv on a terminal upto some extent.

ritesh
Quoting David Busby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> To avoid waiting for RedHat to update their software you can use the
> source.
> In fact http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ has some documents about how to do
> it.  I have two boxes that I did that on, they're both on super-latest-best
> versions of programs/libs I need :) I lost much sleep trying to
> boot/configure/make :(
>
> /B

Ritesh R. Sarraf
"To learn, you've got to get your hands dirty."