Jack Byers [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hal Burgiss responded to another thread:

Mutt + procmail is light years ahead of this stuff. Especially, when
you consider vim can be used as the editor.

I am reasonably sure most members of this list,
and almost surely Hal himself,
really know that "light year" is a technical term:

specifically it is a measure of _distance_ ;
and said another way, it most certainly is not a measure of _time_
which is the sense it was used in the above quote.

Sadly, this kind of thing seems to have entered the popular jargon of the day.
I even ran across some technical type article in the NYtimes a year or so ago
that misused the term in just the same way.

It's no worse than saying "miles ahead of" but that is badjunk use too.

call me an old f**t if you must, but I couldn't help responding to this

regards
Jack