Yes! SMTP Auth is what you want to enable.

I think the redhat supplied version of sendmail is already compiled for SMTP
auth, you just need to enable this feature in your sendmail.mc file.

1) Uncommment the following lines in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc (remove the
leadling dnl, not trailing)...

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')dnl

2) Recreate your sendmail.cf file...
 # cd /etc/mail
 # cp sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.orig
 # m4 sendmail.mc >sendmail.cf

3) restart sendmail
 # /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

4) If the users that you want to allow relaying have local accounts on your
sendmail box, then you can quickly test by changing
/usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf to...
  pwcheck_method: pam

5) Now test using an MUA that supports password authentication for outbound
e-mails.

Note: You will probably want to change the pwcheck_method back to sasldb to
fully implement this feature. A good starting point for sasl would be the
man pages for the following commands:

saslpasswd and sasldblistusers

Steve Cowles