On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 12:52:55AM -0400, Anthony E. Greene wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:44:06AM -0400, Michael George wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:07:41AM -0400, Devon Harding - GTHLA wrote: I
> >have a little different question.  I will have my server behind a
> >firewall that will keep out SMTP traffic (right now I am only partially
> >connected and I have it set (I think) to only accept mail from the local
> >net) and I have my other machines using this server as a relay.
> >
> >That's fine, but when my other systems send mail to my server/relay, the
> >mail goes into the queue and doesn't go out until it's kicked with
> >"sendmail -q".  That's not a big deal now because I kick sendmail every
> >time I connect with PPP.  However, once I have the broadband connection,
> >sendmail will never get kicked...  How can I change the setup so that
> >delivery of all received mail will be attempted when it is received?
>
> Sendmail's default is to immediately attempt delivery. What happens when
> your client machines send a message while your server's PPP connection is
> up?

When the PPP connection is *down*, the mail is queued (like it should be).
But when the mail to be relayed is sent while the connection is *up*, it is
still queued.

This can't be the default behavior (as you pointed out), but I'm not sure
which of the options I've set that cause this...  Here's my *.mc file (I
pulled out all the "dnl..." lines:
divert(-1)
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`linux setup for brutus through journey')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST',`xxxx.xxxxxxx.com')dnl
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
define(`STATUS_FILE', `/var/log/sendmail.st')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(xxxxxxxx.com)dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
RELAY_DOMAIN( 192.168.0 )
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

I don't see anything there that looks like it would cause queuing rather than
attempting for relayed mail when the PPP connection is up...

-M

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
        They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary