From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Me
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 8:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ext3fs/ReiserFS Performance Enhancing

Have you posted this information on the Samba list?

I've currently got a thread going where I have posted benchmark results
after making various changes.

So far I have been concentrating on read performance but I'll start
getting some write benchmarks today.

I'm currently using ext3.  I got a test hard drive that I'll be trying
XFS
and riserfs on.  I really have no idea why I can't get better read
performance.  I'm stuck at 7-7.5MB/sec.  I find it really hard to
believe
that the protocal has that kind of overhead.  I can currently get
10.5MB/sec when transfering the same info using FTP...

Do you have any results to share?

> Hello All,
>
>       I have been doing some research to find a method to increase the
> performance of writes to the hard drives in my servers. I am running
> Samba and all writes to the server hard drives are taking at least 3
> 10 times (It varies) the amount of time it took to write such files on
> our older Windows NT 4.0 File Server.
>
>       The following information is provided to keep this issue on
> track...
>
>       It is not a NIC or network issue. Reads of files from those
> drives take place almost instantly. I have been able to copy an entire
> 700MB CD-ROM ISO image off of the server in less then 3 minutes, yet
> writing a 5 MB file to the server will take approximately the 3
minutes,
> or more. I have also optimized the smb.conf file as best as it can be.
> This resulted in a gain of approximately 15 seconds.
>
>       This happens regardless of how busy the server is in serving
> files to other users as I have tested this while all PCs were in use
on
> the network and also when none were in use.
>
>       In some of my searching, I have read that ReiserFS has faster
> write performance then Ext3FS. So, I blew away the "share" partition
on
> our test server, recreated that with ReiserFS and rebuilt the share.
So