On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:12:54PM -0500, Greenberg, Michael wrote:
> We have customers requesting our products on RH Linux 7.2, RH Linux 8.0, and RH Linux
> Advanced Server. I am trying to determine if there is any binary
> compatibility statement between RH Linux 7.2/8.0 and RH Linux Advanced
> Server.
>
> Is it expected that applications built on either RH Linux 7.2 or 8.0
> will run on RH Linux Advanced Server, or is it necessary to build
> applications built on 7.2/8.0 when migrating to Advanced Server?

My best guess is that you'll have binary compatibilty for just about
everything between 7.2 and AS2.1.  You probably won't have it for 8.0
depending on what you're doing.

There are free downloads of 7.2 and 8.0 available, and there are very
low-cost developer versions of AS2.1 available.  If you're a serious
developer charging for your products, it probably wouldn't hurt to test
it on all of them.  For more details on ASDE (AS Developer Edition),
visit:
http://www.europe.redhat.com/software/advancedserver/developer/faq.php3

For each version, you need to determine the compilers and libraries
used, and then you should hopefully be able to make an informed decision
about binary compatibility.  In general, though, Red Hat changes the
major release number whenever binary compatibility changes, so in theory
you should release a product for 7.x, 8.x, and AS2.x.  All the
Enterprise Linux releases (AS, ES, and AW) should be binary compatible.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]