As long as the market sustains its voracious and undiscriminating demand for
everything cybernetic, the manufacturers and distributors will take full advantage
of the situation. After all, that's what capitalism is. Altruism and integrity are
not required or desired in this paradigm.

The only factor which will force a change, which will make sellers accountable to
customers as we in the non-computer world are, is customer refusal, en masse, to
accept this kind of behaviour by sellers. Since this will not happen, the sole
recourse is either (a) get used to it, or (b) get even. The former is safer and
more realistic, while the latter is far more satisfying.

Well, 'til you get caught, I suppose.

        David Fisher