-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jeff Kinz
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 2:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mount win shares to Linux automatically - possible?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 01:59:00PM +0100, christopher cuse wrote:
> hi cheng
>
> you can mount remote windows shares provided that you have installed
samba.
> once installed, try a line similar to this in your /etc/fstab file
>
> //drs1/c$  /mnt/caca  smbfs  password=mypassword,username=ccuse  0  0
>
> where drs1 is the netbios name of the windows box, c$ is the share name,
and
> username and password accordingly.

Hi Chris - this is a great solution.  Extremely useful for most
installations.
Where did you find it?

I know some folks are worried about the clear text password issue but
if someone who has root on their system isn't suppoed to be reading the
fstab
file, then they much bigger problems... :-)

For the folks who win users have their passwords changed at "frequent"
intervals their is a way to authenticate samba access through authentication
facilities on the Linux box.  At least one of these is, I believe, LDAP
based
and the others are PAM based. (AFAIK).  Those techniques would be useful
for environments which do force password changes.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an