On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 06:57:04PM -0700, Joe Giles wrote:
> Well, nothing is failing. I just want to know how long I have to wait to
> copy a file from one server to another so I can retrieve that file and
> work with it. The file is a little over 400 megs and the link is a dsl
> link (640 x 256). So I just wish to know a round about time it will
> finish. I suppose I can ftp it so I can see a status..

This is getting interesting.  You're mounting a file system onto your local
machine across a dsl line?

How variable have the speeds been across this link?  With a little bit of data
we can whip up a shell script that will calculate how long it will take for
the file to go over, tell you how long and then start the cp by itself.

If the speeds have been highly variable then another approach is called for.

There were a few file transfer utilities that were designed to copy files
across comms links that did give periodic status indicators, like echoing
dots to the screen.

How about uucp?  or Kermit?

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an