On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:06:35PM -0700, Joe Giles wrote:
> Yeah, I share a FS using samba and mount the connection at work. Then I
> set up iptables to only allow the ip/subnet of my work and home to allow
> the samba and related ports access so it is secure... This has worked
> very well. No need for VPN :-P
>
> Besides, I have a VPN connection and because of tunneling, the transfer
> of large files are rather slow (About 1/2 the actual speed or more
> because of encapsulation).
>
> The line is incredibly stable for the two links. The transfer speed is
> about 69.5k/s consistently. I though about doing the math myself, that
> way I could get a round about idea of when it would be done, I just
> though there might be an easier way.

well...  using Fred's neat rsync invocation...

#!/bin/bash
#
#  usage: <thiscript> <File_to_copy>
#

size=`ls -l $1 | awk '{print $5}'`

#  70K/sec = 4.2 Mb per min.

time=$(( $size / 4200000 ))

echo "This should be done in about $time minutes."
echo "Did you start the rsync server st the other end? "
echo -n "Press enter to continue."
read ans
rsync -avz --progress rsync://server/$1

You may need to change the rsync invocation.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an