Just for kicks, does that machines bios support wake-on-lan? That could help, however, it also sometimes makes bad things [tm] happen... so YMMV...

Morgan Doocy wrote:

I'd love for it to be able to sleep and still wake up when it receives a request -- but I can't find any software that will allow me to control its power management settings. I looked at apm and apmd, but from what I could tell they're basically software interfaces that allow you to do stuff when certain power events occur -- not actually change power management settings.