From what I have been able to pick up from previuos discussions, it seems RH is going to "split" it's product line into two main lines (please tell me if my understanding is wrong):

* RH for home/student/entusiast users, which will be based on this new "bleeding edge" like technology for Open Source software included in the distro. It will be the RH we are accustomed to.

* RH for Enterprise/Corporate/Application/Server users, which will be more stable, with more "proven to work" software, which will have a more reasonable release cycle. It seems that RH AS, ES and WS is this approach. Product will be more expensive and will be given more support I would think.

Just my 2c (as a passive observer)

BR,

Terry Barnaby wrote:

Hi,

There is obviously a trade off between compatibility and progress.
I am one that thought the RedHat tradeoff level was about right.
There was always the Redhat Raw Hide for more radical developments.

As an application developer we have got used to supporting
applications on RedHat with releases such as 7.0, 7.1, 7.2.

One of the major problems with Linux (we have been using/supporting
Linux for many years) is the frequent changing of basic binary
compatibility. This is a nightmare to us application developers.
The past RedHat distributions, being based on an around yearly major
update with a major version number change to signify this suited us
quite well, helping us cope with Lunux evolution. We always stayed
clear of x.0 releases as we needed stability over new features.

May I ask:

1. Why was this change to a system of releases, that appeared to
    be working well, made ?

2. Did RedHat talk over this issue with customers and other Linux
    users prior to changing ? This seems to have come out of
    the blue ...

3. Is there information, on the RedHat website, as to RedHat's new
    version policy ?

4. I presume that RedHat 9 will not conform to the "Linux Standard Base" ?

5. Is this change there to force all RedHat Linux users, both business
    and home, that need a platform that its stable and productive
    to purchase one of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux packages ?

One of the reasons we use and support RedHat is due to the consistent
and stable nature of the releases. If this is going to change we, and
I suspect others, will need to rethink which distribution to use and
support ...

It may be that RedHat is no longer interested in non enterprise users.
If so this would, I believe, be a mistake. Linux and RedHat has been
built with the expertise and testing of the huge number of non-enterprise
users. If those users/developers move to another Linux distribution RedHat
will lose a great deal ...

It is essential for any company to communicate well with its customers,
especially if a major change to the product line is going to be made,
if not customers will become confused, disillusioned and disappear ....

Terry

Eric Wood wrote:

I think that's good! We've catered to ancient programs for too long via
compatibility. It's time to see what software package will have a pulse.
It's time to see what dies and what is born.
-eric wood

From: "Jeff Bearer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Keep in mind that the consumer RHL is going to be a lot more aggressive
with new stuff, so they may in fact break binary compatibility on each
release.

--

*Eduardo Silva*
Wireless Network Engineer