On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Sergio Enrique Schvezov wrote:

> I'm using RedHat 8.0, have and nforce chipset. Whenever I logging
> (through gdm) as user A, this user somehow locks the sound device to all
> other users, how can I unlock it so that when user for example stops

This is Red Hat being "helpful." /etc/security/console.perms and
/etc/security/console.apps control permissions on various devices and
programs. You may need to edit one or both of these files, since they are
designed for out-of-the-box single-user console sessions.

> Also a bugging thing is when i do a "startx -- :1" the screen doesn't
> display

Try startx without specifying a screen, or by specifying a specific
virtual terminal. Usually, VT7 is mapped to :0, but if you're doing
something weird, you might get weird results.

--
Guvf gntyvar jnf rapbqrq jvgu gur ebg13.fu fpevcg, ninvynoyr ng
uggc://jjj.pbqrtabzr.bet/fpevcgvat/fubjfpevcg.cuc?fpevcg=ebg13.fu be

                        - ROT-13 Encoded Message