On Tuesday 01 April 2003 02:29 pm, Douglas, Stuart wrote:
> OK...a bit closer, but still no go.  Don't know if Justin called it
> regarding the missing modutils, but I added that package (and the
> modutils-devel for good measure).  Coinciding with this was my poking
> around and properly listing the KERNELDIR=/usr/src/2.4.18-27.8.0 in the
> Makefile and it seemed to compile.  I copied the .o files over to
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-27.8.0/kernel/drivers/scsi (the same basic path
> as the functioning driver for the 2.4.18-14 kernel except for the
> version). Rebooted and got a kernel panic error trying to load the fs.
> Interestingly, the driver for the 2.4.18-14 kernel shows up colored in
> green when I do an ls on it's directory, but the one I compiled for the
> 2.4.18-27.8.0 kernel shows up black just like all the other files.
> Mean anything?

It means the permissions are different on the 2 versions. The modules
should have permissions like:
- -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        15992 Mar 14 07:56 wd7000.o

> Toyed around with trying to load the compiled module (insmod  hpt302.o)
> but there is already a module by that name (Duh!  You mean the one that
> the system is running with?).

I assume this is while running the old kernel, and the module that is
loaded is the module for that version?

Not being able to see what's happening, I'm guessing here..

If the root filesystem is connected to this controller, you probably have
to include the module in the initrd.img file so that it is available
before the filesystem is mounted. In other words, if the module isn't in
the initrd.img, the kernel can't access the /lib/modules/.. directory to
load it, since it can't mount the file system.

Does the file /boot/initrd-2.4.18-27.8.0.img exist? If so, does grub (or
lilo) have a pointer to it? Here is my stanza from /etc/grub.conf:
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-27.8.0)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-27.8.0.img

You mentioned an error or warning when installing the kernel package
previously, I believe? Can you provide more details? This would make
sense, if the above is correct. At the time you installed the kernel, a
module that should have been included in the initrd didn't exist.

You can try creating a new initrd.img: (from memory, man mkinitrd for
details)
mkinitrd -f -v -with=hpt302.o /boot/initrd-2.4.18-27.8.0.img 2.4.18-27.8.0

I'm not sure on the 'with' parameter, or if it is really needed in this
case. It may need the module name, or perhaps the full path. The output
from running the command should give you a clue.

> Is there maybe some module configuration
> change I need to make to help enforce which one to use?  It seems like
> that would just flow from having the file in the proper
> /lib/modules/... path, no?

Is the module listed in /etc/modules.conf (with needed options)?

> Think I'll shoot an e-mail to HighPoint and see if they can shed any
> light on this as well.
>
> Ever forward...

Good luck. ;)

- --